Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Credit Plague Spreads?

I'm still not sure what to think about this. I'm not alone, it seems, with bulls and bears both arguing their position well: Mild, yet delayed, recession? Downturn? Steady Growth? Credit crunch contained? This article in The Paper of Record does a nice job of summarizing the trends and events that may or may not be contributing to an "economic downturn."

As you know, I have a significant amount of cash sitting on the sidelines sucking up a not paltry 4.25% in a money market account. Do I get back in? If so, how? Contrarian strategy seems to be one play to make. I can't wait, for instance, to get into the housing market in a year or so. Will there be a "flight to quality" as fears of recession loom? Perhaps a utility run as people seek stability and consistent returns. Maybe, just maybe, this is a matter of waiting it out, as our true (and just) long-term inclination suggests. Your thoughts?

No comments: